Complete set of Includes

Any tips and tricks that has to with the ADDT that doesn't fit into one of the other categories
piskie

Complete set of Includes

Post by piskie » 2012-05-01 20:14

I want to produce a FULL set of ADDT Includes. Then I will apply the patches for PHP v5.3x compatibility.
That will enable me to pre-load all the ADDT Includes already patched whenever I configure a new site.

Does anyone know an easy way to Force ADDT to produce a Full Set of Includes ??
I can then share this patched set making it available as a RAR File for other users on this Forum.

Fred
Site Admin

Re: Complete set of Includes

Post by Fred » 2012-05-02 12:06

I don't think there is an easy way to make a full set of includes other than to create a page or two and use them all. Or at least initiate the installation of the SB.

I like your idea for a complete set of includes but I think there are very few people that would use all the different SB's in a single project due to the unnecessary space they would take up on the server where the project is running.

Maybe I understood you wrong.

piskie

Post by piskie » 2012-05-02 16:51

Yes Fred, I want to make a FULL Set of Includes to upload on an ADDT Scripted Site.
With Server Space no longer an issue as it used to be, 4, 5 or 10 megs is neither here nor there.
On my server, I assign 250 megs as default for a basic package.

So I suppose I will laboriously initiate each ADDT function to keep adding the Includes.
Then I will PATCH them to make them Compatible with PHP v5.3.x which is the really IMPORTANT part of the exercise.
This will eliminate individually patching each set of Includes for every new site that I create.

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred » 2012-05-03 12:10

I agree that space isn't an issue any more in today's hosting environments. But having stuff on the server for no reason is just wasting space.

I to allocate 250mb the the standard hosting account, by limiting the overheads in the includes folder the client has more space for their own "overheads" e.g. email accounts. And with smart phones gaining popularity the size of in-boxes grows at an alarming rate.

Standardise the Includes folder is exactly what I have done with XMS Systems.
Have a standard set of includes for the CMS that is customised and optimised to suit my needs. It has by no means all the SB included but also includes a load of other scripts.
I had this going even before XMS Systems and it saved a lot of time to set up a basic site.

piskie

Post by piskie » 2012-05-04 18:53

Not exactly familiar with XMS Systems, as I build all my CMS from scratch with ADDT.
Hence me wanting to have a Drop-in set of includes that are patched for PHP 5.3.x making ADDT a bit more future proof.
As it stands, a website using a set of Includes as produced by ADDT has some important functions stop working when a Server Upgrades beyond PHP v5.2.9
It happened to me when PHP v5.3.x first came out. I had 5 sites malfunction, an absolute nightmare.

Long term running with PHP v5.29 is not really viable purely from a security angle as hack resistant measures are continually incorporated in PHP upgrades.

And as for size, the whole set is a very comparable size to a single photograph from a DSLR Photograph sent as an Email attachment.

macJack

Post by macJack » 2012-06-15 09:51

Isn't it so that you can enter all includes using the ADDT control panel?
Open "Developer toolbox" > "Control Panel" > "Update includes folder". Check all products and they will all be entered in the includes folder.
Then update them to 5.3. Change "includes/tng/pub flashembed.js" "if ((version.major == 8 || version.major == 9 || version.major == 10) && protocol == "http" && myupload) {" into "if ((version.major == 10 || version.major == 11 || version.major == 12) && protocol == "http" && myupload) {"
And you're all set

piskie

Post by piskie » 2014-07-12 19:47

Revisiting this Full Set of Includes exercise again.

I am unclear whether the ADDT script upgrades for PHP 5.3 compatibility will work OK with PHP v5.4 and indeed PHP v5.5 which is the way to go if possible.
Does anyone have knowledge gained from experience please ???
I am concerned about the mayhem that I could cause by upgrading to suck it and see or on guesswork advice.
Thanks in advance for any experience related advice.

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred » 2014-07-23 18:55

The only sure way would be to set up a test site running on php 5.4.
In 5.5 mysql_connect is deprecated and after that it is going to break.

I still want to run this tool and see what needs changed
https://github.com/philip/MySQLConverterTool